Saturday, August 6, 2011

Baby Wipes Case DIY

Hi all! Well, my camera is currently off humping through the woods on a USMC camping trip. So I thought I'd post a project I did a while back for Candis's daughter Katelynn. I've seen this tutorial before, but it was pre-Pinterest, so I couldn't tell ya where. If I ever find the fabric I want to use for my new baby girl, I'll show you the one I make for her. :)


I wanted an Alabama themed wipes case for little Katy Sue and decided I would try to make my own.

What you need:
- 1 empty travel wipes case. (I had a couple different wipes cases and after some trial and error, decided it was easier working with the case that had the narrower lid in the center rather than the one with the wide lid.)
- I used about 1/4 a fabric, so I'm thinking you'd have no problem using a fat quarter.
- Cotton batting - The same size as your fabric.
-1 yd. decorative trim
- Your favorite hot glue gun

First lay the batting out and lay the open wipes case on top of it and trace just a rough square all the way around. Then hot glue the batting to the wipes case. I just glued it down on the edges of the case, stretching from the top to the bottom, then trimmed the excess.


Then lay the open case on top of your fabric, the same way you did the batting. Trace around the case, leaving about an inch of excess fabric for the sides and in case you make a mistake somewhere. Cut it out. (Sorry I didn't take pictures of the tracing steps, I will next time.) Start at one edge of your case and glue the fabric down, getting as close to the edge as you can. Don't worry if it's not perfect, you're going to add trim. :) Then just stretch it around gluing all the way, from top to bottom. Make sure you don't have any glue on the edges that won't allow for you to close the case.


When it's all glued down, trim the edges.


If ya want, now is the time to add any decoration across the front. I just glued a piece of ribbon across, the next one I make will have a rosette added to that.

Ok, you're almost there. It seems like alot of steps, but it's really not. Take your trim and starting at one corner, glue all the way around the edges of the case. Go from the top, around, folding down at the other corner and back across the bottom, back to the original corner you started. That sounded complicated, but once you do it, you'll see what I mean.


Ok, now look at your beautiful finished product! I thought mine turned out pretty good for a first try, and for 30 bucks a pop on Etsy, why not make your own?!


I should be back Monday with my potholders I just whipped up for my kitchen. Come back then!

-Sarah

http://linesacrossmyface.blogspot.com/search/label/the%20Cure%20for%20the%20Common%20Monday


No comments: